Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Hazel Mystery continues...

After receiving an email from a cousin about some of the missing pieces in my search, I searched for a Hazel Grayham, Hazel Graham, Hazel Greyham, Hazel Grayhem, etc. - nothing! I know for certain that she was the first wife of Martin Ray Hammack (1893-1968) and the mother of my Grandma Sylvia and Great-uncle Harry. I know she died of "consumption" not long after Harry was born, but that's all I know.

I previously posted the records I have Martin Ray Hammack and his father, Benjamin.

Benjamin's father was Martin A. Hammack (1841-1890). I have only found the 1880 census for him and his wife Anna E. Givens (1841-1916). They had 10 children. I found a photo of their son and Benjamin's brother, Amos Webster Hammack (1880-1965). (Courtesy of "randydym" to Randal M. Shirbroun Family Tree Ancestry.com)


I was able to trace Benjamin's wife, Georgia Samantha Baughman (1873-1940) back a few generations. Her father, Morgan Davis Baughman born 13 March 1842 and her mother, Margaret Ann Dodrill was born 24 Feb. 1843 both in Nicholas County, WV (Incidently, that is where I was born in 1963!) However the 1860 US Census shows them living in Webster County. They had 6 children. She died the 29 Sept 1899 in the Nicholas County.

He lived with his son James and his wife Maggie and a 9 year old girl, Elizabeth Jackson who is listed as a boarder in 1900 according to the US Census report for Webster County, WV.

According to the 1920 US Census, he was 77 years old and lived in Braxton County with his son-in-law & daughter Benjamin & Georgia Hammack, their 3 children (Ernest, Delta & Elsie) and 2 grandchildren (Sylvia & Harry). He died 19 Jan. 1921.

Morgan David Baughman's parents were John Baughman (1814-1897) and Susanna B. Dyer (1814-1869). John was born in Nicholas County, WV and died in Braxton County. Susanna was born in Charlotte, VA and died in Webster County, WV. They had 11 children.

Let me end here on a disturbing note. Susanna B Dyer Baughman's parents may have been related to one another prior to marriage...I will have to research this more. What I have found shows her parents as James Dyer II and Margaret Dyer (that is her maiden name and married name!) They had 6 children together.

No comments: