Sunday, November 23, 2008

One more generation back!!!

This is so exciting! I believe I have found one more generation (my great-great-great-grandfather). The 1860 census list abbreviated his name as Jas. A Watson (I assume this means James). He was 33 years old and married to 26 year old Amanda. They had 4 children: Andrew J. age 8, Jas. F. age 6, Martin L. age 4 and Henry C. age 1. Of course this was before WV was a state so they are listed as Virginians. Jas. was a farmer with assets valued at $100. but does not show any value to his real estate.

I also found death information on Amanda Watson. Who died in June of 1892 of "consumption" (which according to http://www.dictionary.com/ used to mean pulmonary tuberculosis) in Albemarle County, VA. She was 58.

I found that on www.lva.lib.va.us/whatwehave/vital/

I have found some Civil War listings for numerous James Watsons, so will have to do more digging to see if I can figure out which one he may be. One interesting note, some of this information divides West Virginia from Virginia but there are just as many confederate soldiers listed for the Watson family as there were union in WV. All those I found in VA were confederates. The war between the states divided families and obviously states and counties! It will be interesting to find out where old Jas.'s loyalties were placed.

No comments: