Saturday, February 7, 2009

Ray Hammack's Letter

Here is the letter that Ray wrote to Mrs. Martha Miller (Hazel's mother Martha Texas McKinney Graham Miller) the day after the death of his wife, Hazel. I hope this scanned copy is large enough for you to read.



If not here is the transcript:

Skyles, W. Va.

Nov. 8, 1918

Mrs. Martha Millur

Sophia, W. Va.


Dear Mother.

This lonesome morning I will drop you a few lines to let your know how I am getting along. I am not well at all I am just getting over influenza.

Well, dear Mother, Hazel is gone. She passed away yesterday at about 3 o'clock in the evening. i would have brought her home to burry her but it is impossible. I done all I could in my power to save her but it was the Lords will for her to go. She had the influenza and got up to soon and

2

Taken a backset. and turned to pneumonia. I am sick not hardly able to get out have been sick for about two weeks.

The children have been sick but they are better. Sylvia is just about well. and Harry is on the mend. I think he will get along allright. Poor Hazel never requested nothing where she wanted to be buried or who she wanted to take care of the children.

So I will close for the present time will write more the next time.

Answer by return mail.

As Ever Your Son.

Ray.

No comments: